UPDATED: Wow, the world has changed a bit – and so have I! – since I last updated this FIVE YEARS AGO. Whoops. Turns out many of these links are no longer active, including death, disinterest, retirement, and re-direction. Oh yeah, and there’s Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram…
So, that said, here’s an *updated* list of some of the bloggers, blaggers, (great British term that pre-dates and oddly anticipates the Interwebs) cranks and commentators, ditzes and deep thinkers that I like to follow. I’ve also tossed in some of the web sites and other online destinations that I use. Now, tell me, who/what am I missing?
Musicians & Musicheads
- Bruce Warren – Some Velvet Blog – from the music-crazed mind of the WXPN PD. He says he doesn’t get classical, I barely understand half the stuff he writes about, but I am entertained nonetheless….
- Dr. N.A.N.’s Blog – “News, Views, and how the world skews from San Antonio, Texas”
- Think Denk – “The glamorous life and thoughts of a concert pianist.” Jeremy Denk, a Macarthur Foundation “genius grant” recipient, (and, it must be noted, a former Performance Today Young Artist in Residence) hasn’t updated in a while, but that’s all right…we have a lot of catching up to do…
Critics, Writers & Commentators (not all about music)
- About Last Night – Wall Street Journal Critic Terry Teachout’s excellent blog
- Alex Ross – The Rest is Noise – “Articles, a Blog, and a Book” by the music critic for the New Yorker.
- Sandow – Greg Sandow on the Future of Classical Music
- Slipped Disc – The “go-to” for info on the classical music world from British bomb-tosser Norman Lebrecht
- Jessica Duchen
- Kyle Gann
- New Music Box
- The Well-Tempered Ear
- Deceptive Cadence
- Anne Midgette
Web & Music Tech
Radio, Music & Media Industry Insiders
Media Links, Radio Shows’n’Stations
- Little Steven’s Underground Garage
- Morning Becomes Eclectic
- NPR Music
- Performance Today
- Piano Jazz
- Texas Music Matters
- Thistle & Shamrock
Staying Connected: DC, WV, NC, NH, VT, etc….
- Create WV
- Raw Fisher – Washington Post columnist Marc Fisher writes about radio, media, DC neighborhoods and more
- ionarts – DC “Classical Music, Art, Literature—the good stuff”
On Beyond Music: Art, History, Pop Culture, and Stupidity
- Arcane Radio Trivia
- The Comics Curmudgeon – I confess. I wrote a Master’s paper about the funnies. I’ll bet this guy did too.
Concert Series, Festivals, Presenters, Projects